My latest Sherlock Holmes short story Miss Violet Dixon (deceased)

My latest Sherlock Holmes short story Miss Violet Dixon (deceased)
The front cover created with Gimp with help from Aubrey Watt on You Tube.

Sunday 22 September 2013

Not weather again!...Well, just a bit.

Today finds me not talking about the weather! Except to say that the table and chairs on the terrace is going to be put into the cellar because of fog and damp related issues!

Coming from a culture in the UK where the respect for Sunday has dwindled with shops staying open and kids playing on the streets etc., Brittany is in some ways refreshing. The only shop open here is the bakery (you must buy French bread fresh every day else it goes limp and chewy). This is fine until you have a weak moment and decide to do a bit of DIY and you break something important or you are lacking that last final plumbing bit....and the DIY store is shut...and you realise they are ALL shut! Why do things always break on a Sunday? Not only that, here in my bit of France you can't use the mower / strimmer / chain-saw etc. on a Sunday because it makes a noise and disturbs the neighbours. Fine....except that Sunday may be the only day when the weather is such that you can mow! Damn, talking about the weather again!

Writing more of my new Sherlock Holmes story this week has been a bit of an 'on-off' kind of thing. I have been side tracked into doing things related to marketing my books like offering a 100% off discount code on Smashwords to different Sherlock Holmes groups in different parts of the world. These range from India to Canada to the Czech Republic. If anyone is interested and reads this blog, you can pop along to Smashwords and find me or follow this link to my author page. https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/dickg29 Click on my book Sherlock Holmes and The Birchwood Affair and purchase it in whatever format you like and at the checkout enter the discount code DS64U to get 100% off....yippee! A free book. This code is valid until the 25th September.

Finding the right title for a book is something I find difficult. It has to be something that will attract readers so they open the book and read a bit, something related to the content  but snappy. I am having trouble with the current book I am writing which is making saving it on my laptop a nightmare with different file names as my ideas for a title change. I MAY go with Sherlock Holmes and The Zhou Bell, that has a nice ring to it! ; )

Google Drive is proving to be a god send, I tend to work on three different platforms, my MacBookPro laptop running LibreOffice, my Windows Netbook running Word 2010 and my iPad using CloudOn (a brilliant free bit of software that uses Word). I switch between the machines depending where I am. When I finish a writing session I save it on the machine I am using and also to Google Drive. This means at some time later in the day I can download the latest version from Google Drive onto a different machine and carry on....even if I am back in the UK.

Have a great week, share with me your writing experiences and download the free book.

Dick xx




No comments:

Post a Comment